CYRIL GUREVITCH, K.C.
Cyril is Counsel at DPQC Law and the sitting Mayor of the Summer Village of Norglenwold. Cyril has been practicing law in Northern and Central Alberta since his graduation in 1976. He started his career as a litigator from 1976 until 2001, when he began work primarily as a Solicitor in Commercial and Residential Real Estate Transactions, Mortgage and Security Preparation and Registration, Wills and Estates, and Corporate matters.
Cyril obtained his Bachelor of Laws (1976) and Bachelor of Arts (1975) Degrees from the University of Alberta. Since that time, and in addition to the Practice of Law, he has been involved in a wide variety of community activities, including positions as the Chairman of the Board of the Grande Prairie and Region United Way, Vice-Chair of the Grande Prairie Airport Commission, Vice-Chair of the Grande Prairie Regional College Board of Governors, President of the Grande Prairie Rotary Club, Chairman of the Grande Prairie Wapiti PC Association, and Director of the Grande Prairie & District Chamber of Commerce Board, among others . In 2013, he was awarded the ‘Businessman of the Year’ distinction by the Chamber.
Cyril has been an active participant in the Canadian Bar Association since 1975, joining the Provincial Council in 2001 and rising to the position of President of CBA-Alberta for the 2012/13 year. He is also a Past President of the Grande Prairie Bar Association and a former member of the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association. In 1996, he was honored to receive his appointment as Queen’s Counsel. In 2021, he received the Award for Service to the community jointly from the Canadian Bar Association and Law Society of Alberta. In 2022, Cyril received the Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee Medal recognizing the significant contribution of Albertans.
- Former President of the Canadian Bar Association-Alberta Branch 2012/2013
- Council Member of the Canadian Bar Association – Alberta Branch commencing 2001 and Executive Member of the Branch since 2009, including positions of Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice-President
- Current member of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Current member of the Central Alberta Bar Association.
- President (1995-1997) and current member of the Grande Prairie Bar Association.
- Former member of the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer in the City of Grande Prairie in the areas of Real Estate, Family Law, Wills, Estates, Estate Planning, Personal Directives, Enduring Power of Attorney, and Landlord & Tenant
- Lecturer at CBA Alberta Law Conference on “Due on Sale Clauses” in Mortgages and at the Creditor’s Rights Subsection
- Lecturer at the Legal Education Conference in Lake Louise on legal issues regularly encountered by Rural Practitioners
- Current Mayor of Summer Village of Norglenwold.
- Current Member of the Sylvan Lake Rotary Club.
- Past Director of the Grande Prairie Chamber of Commerce (2004-2008)
- Past President (1989-1990) and member of the Rotary Club of Grande Prairie since 1985
- Past Vice-Chair (1994-1996) and member of the Grande Prairie Regional College Board of Governors (1991-1996)
- Past Vice-Chair (2005-2014) of the Grande Prairie Airport Commission and member commencing 2004
- Past Chairman (2007 – 2010) and Member of the Grande Prairie and Region United Way commencing 2004
- Past President (2000-2001) and Member of the Grande Prairie Wapiti PC Association since 1989
- Charter Member of the Heritage Foundation for the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Grande Prairie